Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Student Residence Permit - Embassy of Finland, Singapore : Current Affairs : News


101 Thomson Road
#21-03 United Square, Singapore 307591
Tel. +65-6254 4042
English | Suomi | Svenska |  |  | Instagram | 
News, 4/23/2018

Student Residence Permit

How do I apply for a residence permit?

  1. Fill in an application in the EnterFinland-online service.

  2. Pay application fee in the EnterFinland-online service via credit card or to the Embassy bank account in DBS bank in Singapore.

  3. Visit the Embassy to verify your identity and your original documents.

Required documents

  • Passport

  • Passport size photo less than 6 months old (in photopaper).

  • Singaporean IC/PR or Singaporean Student pass or other valid Long Term Visit Pass. The Embassy does not have an opportunity to verify application from applicants visiting Singapore with short term tourist visa or visit pass.

  • Acceptance letter to Finnish university or polytechnic.

  • Bank statement from your own bank account under your own name. The balance should be enough for your living costs in Finland, minimum 560 euros per month (approximately 895 Singaporean dollars per month and for example 5 months x 895 SGD = 4475 SGD).

  • Medical insurance. Make sure to download also the coverage of your insurance in the EnterFinland-online service. The insurance should cover all medical expenses to minimum 100 000 euros (approximately 160 000 Singaporean dollars). If you are studying in Finland at least 2 years the coverage should be 30 000 euros.

Visit the Embassy

Book appointment by sending email to

What to bring with you?

  • Original Passport.

    Singapore passi passport
  • Passport size photo less than 6 months old.

  • The original documents you have scanned to the EnterFinland-online service. If you received the document electronically, no need to print it out. Only hardcopies with original signatures and stamps should be brought along.

  • Receipt of the payment, if you made payment toEmbassy bank account in DBS bank.

The Embassy will collect your fingerprints for the biometric residence permit card.

How long does it take to process the application?

The Finnish Immigration Service will process your application in Helsinki. The expected processing time for students is 1 month. If additional documents are required during the process, it will affect the processing time. The Embassy has no influence over processing times at the Finnish Immigration Service.

The Finnish Immigration Service treats all student residence permit applications as urgent, and processes and decides upon them accordingly.

The only way to make sure you will get the permit on time is to submit the application without delay once you have received your acceptance letter from Finland. The Embassy does not recommend paying for any plane tickets before the card has arrived to Singapore.

After the decision is ready

You will first receive the decision through the EnterFinland-online service.

The Embassy will send you a separate email once the card is ready to be collected.

In case you cannot collect the card yourself, you may authorize another person to collect it for you. The person collecting the card must have an authorization letter signed by you and his/her ID when he/she comes to the Embassy.

Even if you hold a passport that allows visa free entry to Finland, the Embassy does not recommend traveling to Finland before you have the residence permit in hand. It is not possible to collect the card in Finland and the Embassy does not provide mailing service. You may face problems with airline, if you are unable to provide the residence permit card when boarding the plane. The Embassy has no influence over airline policies.

Traveling with your residence permit

When traveling, you will need to provide your passport and the residence permit card at the passport control (entry and exit).


As a Finnish residence permit holder you are also allowed to travel to other Schengen countries up to 90 days for tourist purposes.

If you are planning to travel as a tourist in Finland or other Schengen countries before or after your studies, include the dates in your period of stay in your application. Make sure your insurance is valid during your whole stay. The validity of your residence permit card cannot be longer than your insurance.

Check the import restrictions and instructions of the Finnish Customs.

Importing food items is requlated by the Finnish Food Safety Authority.

Phone inquiries

In case you have questions, you may call to the Embassy during our phone hour Mon-Thu 11-12 am tel. 6254 4042 or drop us an email

Alumni Group in Facebook

Join our Alumni group in Facebook! You may network with other students who are also going to Finland and ask questions from the students who have already been to there!

Print this page

Updated 5/31/2018

© Embassy of Finland, Singapore | About this site | Contact information